TAMPA, Fla. — A Florida family was hospitalized after consuming LSD tainted meat that they had purchased from a neighborhood Walmart.
Jessica Rosado, 31, her partner Ronnie Morales, 24, and her two daughters were hospitalized Monday after eating bottom round steak they had purchased at a Tampa Walmart.
Morales was the first person to become ill and Rosado called 911. She became so terrified at how sick he was that she drove him to the hospital.
While at the hospital Rosado, who was nine months pregnant, became ill and was transported to a nearby women’s hospital.
Her children started to hallucinate and they were hospitalized.
The family received treatment and Morales and the girls were released from the hospital on Wednesday. Rosado delivered a healthy baby boy and was released on Thursday.
The police investigation included confiscating the food the family had eaten as well as testing their oven, and police found no evidence that the family was involved in voluntarily ingesting the LSD.
Walmart voluntarily turned over all of their meat that was on the shelves for testing and found no other LSD tainted meat. They released a statement that said,
We know our customers expect safe, quality food and we require our suppliers to meet the highest of food safety standards. It’s unclear where and how the food was tampered with or if the tampering occurred after purchase. However, out of an abundance of caution, we have pulled the remaining product from the store.
Initial results released by the Hillsborough County Medical Examiner’s Office determined the source of the LSD tainted meat was the bottom round steak purchased at Walmart and have described it as an isolated incident.
The unanswered question is how did the LSD tainted meat find it’s way onto a neighborhood Walmart meat shelf. Did someone handling the meat at Walmart think it would be funny to play a joke on an unsuspecting family and taint the meat with drugs?
Or did a customer at the store taint the meat?
The investigation is ongoing.